Day Trips from Twin Cities
Globe-Pequot Press, July 2012, first edition
Hit the road with 24 day-trip destinations less than two to three hours from Minneapolis-St. Paul. Discover the towns that inspired Lake Wobegon, golf or shop your way through the Brainerd Lakes, go fishing, find fun family getaways, explore historic sites and state parks, and feast your way through Minnesota and Wisconsin’s romantic river towns.
The Dakotas Off the Beaten Path
Globe-Pequot Press, May 2015, ninth edition
Look for travel tips that cover a little bit of everything: rock-climbing and hiking in the Black Hills, watching the Laura Ingalls pageant, touring Native American museums, finding chic shopping and desserts in Fargo, and driving the quirky Enchanted Highway on the way to Medora’s Badlands and never missing the surprises along the way.
USA Today Go Escape—A biannual national travel magazine
- Tacoma’s Heart of Glass: Tour Chihuly’s hometown.
- Venerable lodges show visitors rusticity with an elegant touch.
- Look for “True North,” a feature about a family winter adventure on Minnesota’s North Shore in the Winter 2011/2012 issue.
- Summer 2012 features include South Dakota’s Black Hills and boating among polarbears and beluga
whales in Churchill, Manitoba.
This wonderful regional magazine passionately captures life in the Midwest and thoroughly checks out everything it prints. I contribute to the annual Best of the Midwest Travel edition and ongoing bi-monthly magazine issues.
- Cool Art in Minnesota’s Grand Marais
- Seven reasons you’ll love Stillwater, Minnesota
- Autumn Getaway to Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula
- Six reasons to return to Minnesota’s Mall of America
- Eight reasons you should return to South Dakota’s Rapid City
- More blog features written for Midwest Living
- Great River Road Trip—More than famous eagles: A two-day getaway to artsy, Nordic, outdoorsy Decorah, Iowa.
- Escape to Red Wing: Two-day getaway to this historic town of famous boots, bluffs and pottery.
- Look for eagles, ride the Midwest’s coolest carousel and kayak the Mississippi River on a two-day getaway to Wabasha and Lake City, Minn.
- Enjoy stained glass, Mississippi scenery and spice on a Winona getaway.
Twin Cities Star Tribune
I am grateful Minnesotans have one of the country’s best travel sections, taking readers across the world every Sunday.
- Finding beauty in South Dakota’s Badlands
- A tour of Oregon, from orchards to ocean
- Learning to cook in Puerto Morelos, Mexico
- A tour of Oregon from orchards to ocean
- A Whale of a Time in Manitoba: Paddling with belugas, boating next to polar bears: these are the joys of summer in Churchill, Manitoba.
Fresh take on SoCal: Flowers near San Diego offer a jumpstart on spring.
- Take a memorable ride during a dolphin swim in the Florida Keys.
- Sleigh ride brings on the magic: Gunflint Trail delivers a bucket-list experience.
- Life Lessons in the Wild: Wilderness Inquiry helps mother and son overcome challenges, find new strength.
- Longing for Light: Germany’s Ore Mountains influence Christmas ornaments and decor across the globe.
- Ontario: Wilderness and Wonder. Family Canadian road trip pursues living history, thundering falls and real gems.
- Digging History: Unearthing dinosaur bones in Thermopolis, Wyo.
Family Vacation Critic
This online website devotes itself to traveling with kids—which is its own kind of adventure. Look for resort reviews, the low-down on destinations and tips for parents.
How-to guide to family camping
- Lake Superior Family Vacation
- Brainerd Lakes Family Vacation
- Black Hills Family Vacation
- Minocqua, Wis., Family Vacation
- Traverse City, Mich., Family Vacation
- Kalahari Resort, Wisconsin Dells
- The Wilderness, Wisconsin Dells
- Great Wolf Lodge, Wisconsin Dells
- Hotel del Coronado, San Diego, Calif.
- Adventures such as dog-sledding, caving, mountain-biking and rock-climbing.
- Family travel.
- Hands-on vacations such as art studios, cooking classes and farm stays.
- Off-the-beaten-path discoveries from Finnish cafes to ice-fishing festivals.
- Local foods (think farm-stands & markets, vineyards, slow-food cafes, and ethnic neighborhoods).
- National and state parks.
I have more than 25 years of journalism experience, beginning in newspapers before moving into magazines, online sites, guidebooks and apps. I covered everything from nuclear power plants to local government before moving toward creative lifestyle, food, parenting, gardening and travel features that interest me the most.
- Second place, newspaper travel feature on a U.S./Canadian destination, Society of American Travel Writers (SATW), Central States, 2013.
- Third place, action photography; honorable mention for U.S. scenery and for food photography reflecting local cultures, Society of American Travel Writers (SATW), Central States, 2012.
- Third place, Newspaper feature-international, SATW, Central States 2011.
- Third place, Past meeting location photo; third place, humorous photo; SATW, Central States, 2011.
- First Place, Other (New Media), Mark Twain Awards, 2008.
- Third Place, Newspaper feature, Mark Twain Awards through Midwest Travel Writers Association, 2007.
- Second Place, Photojournalism, Mark Twain Awards, 2004.
AVAILABLE FOR SPEAKING
Contact me if you’re interested in public speaking on family travel, ways to save money while traveling, cultural travel, travel writing or working successfully from home.
Lisa Meyers McClintick
Freelance Travel Writer/Photographer
St. Cloud, Minnesota